Weight training is extremely important for women of all ages. It should be an integral part of any woman’s fitness regimen. This type of training will not only provide the outer beauty benefits but will also give measurable internal health benefits.
Here are 5 very important reasons why women should use weights for strength training:
1. Weight training increases bone density.
This can assist women in reducing the risk of developing osteoporosis and or osteopenia. Strong bones will have less risk of fracture (breaking) due to poor bone density & quality.
2. Weight training increases your metabolic rate; thereby, increasing the rate at which calories are utilized.
This will cause a more efficient way for the body to burn calories and fat.
3. Weight training will also increase lean muscle development and strength.
As you improve your lean muscle mass with weights, you will concurrently improve your balance and strength. The strength of your muscles, ligaments, tendons and bone will all increase, which lowers your risk of injury while exercising.
4. Weight training will also improve your cardiovascular fitness because of its blood pressure lowering effects.
This is so important because cardiovascular disease is the #1 killer of women in America.
5. Weight training can also provide a feeling of well-being which may help women with depression or anxiety.
This again shows that weight training strengthens our bodies, minds and spirits.
There are so many benefits to lifting weights for women at any age. It is important to be well trained about using the weights properly to maximize your strength training safely and effectively. Keep on exercising! Exercise is life!
Dr. Levi Harrison, the Fitness Doctor, is an Orthopedic Surgeon and author of “The Art of Fitness: A Journey to Self Enhancement” book and “The Art of Fitness: Cardio Core Work Out” DVD. For more information about Dr. Levi Harrison and his practice, please visit drleviharrison.com or call 818-240-8001. Dr. Levi Harrison’s practice is located at 1560 E. Chevy Chase Drive, Suite #350, Glendale, CA 91206. www.DrLeviFitness.com