Nutrition is very important in assisting to control your weight. It is so important for us to remember that the body is an extraordinary machine; however, it will reflect the types of foods which we eat. There is great truth to the adage, “We are what we eat and we are what we think!” We have to be “conscious eaters.”
“Conscious eating” is being aware of the foods that we place in our bodies. We must be aware of the “food environment” and the “food culture.” We do not have to eat food that is simply offered to us after we have eaten a meal. Also it is alright to not have dessert after every meal. Most cultures almost dictates that we “must have dessert” after dinner. What about taking a walk after dinner or simply eating a delicious piece of fruit after a meal?
When we are more conscious about our eating habits, we can deliberately make better choices. I know that food is an essential part of our lives; yet, we must not let it control the stability of our health or the size of our waist lines.
Here are seven healthy tips to assist you to have better nutrition to control your weight and to a “conscious eater”:
1. Consider having fruits and vegetables on half of the plate for each meal.
2. Consider eating only vegetables 3 days per week. Your body will love this.
3. Only buy nutritious, life-invigorating food for snacks such as dried fruits, nuts, grains and veggies.
4. Consider minimizing the amount of high caloric, non-nutritious food that you buy for home snacks such as soda, candy, packaged sugary foods, ice cream and foods that are high in salt, sugar, dyes and preservatives.
5. Eat 4-5 small meals during the day to keep insulin and cortisol levels stable during the day.
6. Be sure to exercise daily, which will decrease stress and stimulate a feeling of well-being.
7. Take time to be still and meditate for 15-20 minutes per day. This will help you to be conscious about your eating habits and fitness goals.
These seven tips will help you make more nutritious choices as you become a “conscious eater.” Remember to exercise as you become more mindful about your health and nutrition. Enjoy life!
About Dr. Levi Harrison
Dr. Levi Harrison, “The Fitness Doctor,” is an orthopedic surgeon and the director of the Harrison Orthopedic Institute – Center of Excellence in Glendale, California. He is the author of the The Art of Fitness: A Journey to Self Enhancement book and The Art of Fitness: Cardio Core Workout DVD, both available on Amazon.com and on his website, DrLeviFitness.com. He has recently appeared on the Dr. Oz show and hosts his own radio show every Wednesday at 10:00 AM on LAtalklive.com. For more information about Dr. Levi, his practice, or to schedule an appointment please call 818-240-8001 or visit DrLeviFitness.com. Dr. Levi’s office is located at 1560 E. Chevy Chase Drive, Suite 350, Glendale, CA 91206.