Working at a desk can be tiring and boring if you allow that to happen. Let’s spruce up and brighten your day with exercises at your desk! Make your desk job a series of mini-workouts throughout the day. Here are some daily tips for improving your overall health at work.
1. Keep a daily positive affirmation in line of sight at your desk. Here are some examples: “The gym is where my body is! I feel good. I am worthy! “Consistency is the vehicle by which we attain and maintain our goals!”
2. Sit on a large exercise ball (Swiss ball) instead of a chair. This will strengthen your core muscles and your posture.
3. Lift your heels and pump your calf muscles throughout the day. This will help to tone your calf muscles. Doing 3 sets of 20 repetitions will be an easy task during your workday. This will help to improve your blood circulation in your legs during those long stretches of sitting!
4. Stand up every hour for 2-5 minutes, and then reach your palms to the ceiling while standing on your toes and then your heels. This will improve your circulation and can help with any tension or spasms in the lumbar/lower back area and in your legs.
5. Keep a pair of 3-5 lb. weights at your desk. When you get a break, try performing a set of bicep curls or overhead presses during the day.
6.Take the stairs at work and consider parking in a safe area further away from your building to assist in hitting your goal of 10,000 to 12,000 steps per day! (You can measure this with a pedometer)
7. While at your desk, stretch your neck. If you have no cervical spine issues, considering the following exercise while seated. Try to place your chin on your chest for 10 seconds. Next, bend your neck to the right and place your right ear to your right shoulder and hold for 10 seconds. Do the same for the left side. I would recommend doing the aforementioned exercises for 3 sets. This will assist in relieving tension in your neck while at work!
8. Move your fingers in the air at your desk as if you are playing a piano for 30 seconds. Perform this for 3 repetitions! Next, push your palms together in a praying type position and hold for 30 seconds. These are great “wake up” exercises for the small intrinsic muscles in your hands.
9. Try rolling your shoulders forward and backwards while seated on either your Swiss ball or chair for 3 sets of 10 repetitions. This is a great exercise for shoulder and upper back tightness.
10. Keep healthy, lower calorie, high protein/fiber snacks at your desk. Eating these healthy snacks can decrease the effects of low blood sugar levels on your body.
11 .Make sure to keep a bottle of water at your desk to avoid dehydration; this can help to stave off food cravings as well.
I am sure these tips will help you on your health and well-being journey! You can do it!
-Dr. Levi Harrison
The Gamers & eSports Doctor